Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Nursing vs Bottle Feeding

I went into this pregnancy wanting to try the whole breastfeeding/nursing thing but had the attitude that Id try it and if it didn't work for me I would not stress out or be upset; to do simply what works best for me and my baby. I was not breastfed as a baby and my mom/aunt etc did not do this so they have very strong opinions against it..why would you do that blah blah just because it wasn't as "in" back in the day. I tried to just ignore their comments and do what I wanted to do. I honestly don't see why they care if they aren't the ones doing it or paying $25+ for each can of formula. I think breastfeeding is more "in" now a days and many of my friends, coworkers, relatives chose to go this route as well.

From the time you were born in the hospital you had no problems nursing on the right side..the left side was another story..my nipple was a little inverted so it was harder for you so I think you didn't like the extra work. The second day the nurse gave me some plastic nipple cup things to try and get the nipple to come out..this did work but it also caused milk to leak out.. I used these for several days and it did help but you still preferred the right side. The left side did get blisters and bled once as well..prob from in correct latching or irritation. On the day we left the hospital, the nurse suggested using a nipple shield to see if that would help and it definitely did so from then on I used one...mostly just on the left side but then eventually used it on both sides because you preferred it.

The lactation people at the hospital were not really pro using these..they were like why did you bring that? Did you suspect problems? Make sure you pump after every time you feed if you use one blah blah. When at home I did do this in the beginning..I would feed you and then Id try and pump for 15 mins after. I would do this all the time during the day but at night I did not do this bc if I had I would be up 24 hours straight by the time you finished eating and I pumped it would be time to do it all over again. Gradually it became too hard to do it every time..being home alone during the days with you..so Id for sure do it first in the morning after getting up and then before bed...this helped with engorgement too..Sometimes Id do it one time during the day; esp if we wanted to go somewhere..Id pump so Id have a bottle along to feed you. I am not a huge fan of having to BF in public..haha even though I had a cover thing.

This system worked pretty well but approaching 2 months old..and many growth spurts I just could not do the nursing at night. I was getting no sleep and you wanted to eat like every hour sometimes so it was just non stop feeding. We then decided to try doing bottles at night..this would mean Lee would have to help out too which he was ok with. Hed wake up and change you while I warmed a bottle brought it up and then Id pump while he fed you and put you back to sleep. This immediately made a huge difference. You would stay full longer and sleep longer and I could be done in 20 mins or so vs spending an hour feeding you and getting you back to bed. This kinda sucked bc we were both awake each time but it made life way easier. Thanks daddy for helping mommy even with having to get up to work each day!

I gradually began giving you a bottle or two during the days too to the point by about 10 weeks we were doing all bottles and no nursing. Id sometimes nurse like once a day or so just so you'd still be able to do it but you just got fussy and were not really into it.. You'd just get lazy..fall asleep or eat a couple mins then stop and then want to eat again an hour later. You just preferred the bottle..I'm sure its faster and easier for you too. I then decided to just to all bottles. I would be going back to work in a couple weeks anyways so youd be doing bottles at daycare. I have continued to pump and freeze the milk. Thank god for our deep freezer!! It is full of frozen milk. I was pumping roughly three hours but a little longer in between at night. It is a lot of work to pump so much and clean everything in between but at least you are still getting my milk. We'll thaw out older milk and have the bottles all ready to go in the fridge each day. It seems to be working out good. It is hard to find time to pump during the day when Im home alone with you because sometimes you just do not want to lay there or get fussy or want to be held but I've managed to make it work. I go back to work next week so we'll see how Ill find time to fit in pumping etc. I know it will be hard but Ill try and see how long I can tolerate it. Hopefully I will be able to keep up for your needs as well...as you continue to increase the amount you eat.

Its always hard to know exactly how much to give you in a bottle some doctors say feed them as much as they want you cant overfeed a baby..they'll spit it up if its too much..Others say only 1 oz per hour etc. We just have to do what works for you..no one wants a unhappy screaming hungry baby. You are a little bit of a chunker but you are cute and we love your little fat rolls! Id rather have a chunker than a baby that didnt want to eat. The doctor did not seem concerned with your weight gain and thought you looked great!!

1 comment:

  1. Just realized I hadn't checked this in a while....because it doesn't show up in my rss feed. You have great attitude about nursing. I struggled with it SO much (every problem in the book) and had to quit after 2 weeks (but pumped for a long time after that). I've learned that moms should be proud at any attempt they make to nurse!

    ReplyDelete